Want to take a walk in Israel? Be truthful and sincere
The consular service of the Embassy of the State of Israel in Russia is the very place that no person can get around who decides to go to this country for one or another need. Here, of course, it is always crowded, bustling, noisy. And because of that – a little stupid. The first time you get here you need to overcome confusion, get together, group, concentrate before starting your own business. Apparently, understanding the feelings of “clients,” the consular department adviser Yitzchak KARMEL-KAGAN began a conversation with the i correspondent from complaining about cramped working conditions. Say, you yourself see how difficult it is for us to serve everyone, to deliver information on innovations to our clients on time (see “i” b 35 (194), p. 15).
– Even when such a procedure as, say, issuing visas or issuing invitations changes in the direction of relief, people take this with caution. Precisely because they were not notified in advance.
That is why I decided to turn to the “foreigner”.
– What changes, Mr. Advisor, have occurred in the procedure for issuing invitations or, as is more common to say, calls?
– Previously, invitations to Russians were issued by their Israeli friends and relatives at a notary public. It cost the Israelis a considerable investment of time and money. Although it didn’t make much sense, it was an expensive formality. The practice is widespread among Russians: to come to Israel on a guest’s invitation from your beloved aunt, to settle in a hotel, and to invite your aunt once for dinner for pro forma. So why, one wonders, is all this trouble for her?
Now it’s enough to write a letter to your nephew in which to express a desire to see him. This is the first relief.
There is one more thing, although I cannot vouch for it one hundred percent.
You probably know the “collateral clause”. In some cases, when Russian guests had doubts about the Israeli Ministry of the Interior, the inviting Israelis had to pay a security deposit of 5.000 shekels (approximately $ 1,500) for these “dubious” ones. The deposit was deposited in a special bank account for a period of six months. Outraged citizens complained to the High Court of Justice, and the court repealed this provision. De jure. And I can’t say what is happening de facto. I, like you, from Moscow, Israel is not visible.
Inviting people should still contact the Ministry of Internal Affairs, but not always, but only in certain cases: when our consular service has doubts, we reserve the right to seek the opinion of the Israeli Ministry of Internal Affairs. There is a special registration – who invites, whom, why and for how long. Then, if the guest did not leave the country on time, the computer will indicate who in Israel is responsible for this violation. In the same way as here in Russia: an invitation for an Israeli relative is issued at the regional OVIR. Sometimes the wait for an invitation from the OVIR is delayed up to three months. And the Israeli Ministry of Internal Affairs copes with this task within one month.
Our rules are similar to those of other embassies. From those who wish to visit Israel, we demand not only the provision of certain information about ourselves, but also the support of this information with relevant documents. When applying for a visa, we require the presentation of an internal passport. Sometimes marriage certificates. In order to know who is responsible for the invitee, in addition to the invitation letter, we need a copy (it can also be sent by fax) of the ID of the inviting Israeli – Teudat Zeut, as well as documents proving family ties between the inviting Israeli and his Russian guest.
– To issue a visa, you require proof of kinship. But what about friends, among whom there may be non-Jews? Is it obligatory to apply to the Israeli Ministry of Internal Affairs for permission?
– Life is not black and white. If a person provides evidence that, say, he was sitting with the inviting Israeli at the same desk or lived with him once in the same communal apartment, there will be no problems. We are normal people and more or less able to understand something in life. When it is clear why one invites the other to visit, when it is clear that there is no catch, no crime, we do without the help of the Ministry of Internal Affairs.
The best advice our customers can give is to tell the truth. Sometimes a person himself renders a disservice to himself – he tells how solid and businesslike he is, that he has a serious relationship with some major Israeli company. We conduct an audit and find out that there is no such company in nature. He begins to twist. And then it turns out that he was going to his own mother. A hundred times we had it. Tell me honestly: I’m going to my mother.
– The American embassy believes that if a person in Russia has real estate, he will not stay in America. Therefore, it is often necessary to present privatization documents to obtain an American visa.